Carbon Monoxide (CO) is an invisible, odorless, tasteless gas produced when fossil fuels do not burn completely, or are exposed to heat (usually fire).
These fuels include: wood, coal, charcoal, oil, natural gas, gasoline, kerosene, and propane.
Common appliances are often sources of CO. If they are not properly maintained, are improperly ventilated, or malfunction, CO levels can rise quickly. CO is a real danger in homes that are more energy efficient. “Air-tight” homes with added insulation, sealed windows, and other weatherproofing can “trap” CO inside. Electrical appliances typically do not produce CO.
Note: Individuals with medical problems may consider using warning devices that provide audible and visual signals for carbon monoxide concentrations under 30ppm.
For more information click here.